You are happy unless you decide otherwise. Happiness is a matter of choice, they say. I agree. And women have lots of reasons to smile, every day. Being a woman is a blessing, being a mother is a miracle. My life before motherhood and my life after that is a piece in two acts. What unites them is a simple fact – I was happy before, I am happy now. Not from sunrise to bedtime, of course, but most of the time I try to stay happy and optimistic. Because happiness is simple, and women are lucky to find it in so many little things.
- A cup of hot coffee and a silent morning – nothing could be compared to a few minutes of quietness to spend with your own self.
- Your child’s sweet smile, their hugs and kisses, those innocent eyes and the precious “Mummy, I love you” – this is the true happiness on Earth! This is also the way children make you forgive them a terrific damage they’ve just done. But who cares, you are still a happy mother, and you’ll buy a new TV one day. 🙂
- To watch your child sleep – the moments when I think to myself, “I have an angel at home, my sleeping angel.”
- A naughtily huge piece of chocolate cake to eat with no regrets – forget about your flat-belly plan for a while.
- Your reading time in the evenings – it’s yours and only yours. This is my most relaxing part of the day.
- A good book (or a heap of new books you’ve just got delivered).
- To see your home library get bigger – a real delight for any book lover.
- A few minutes of yoga or fitness (ideally not less than 30) – another little escape, another sweet moment of being with yourself.
- The new red lipstick you’ve bought without actually needing it (well, you don’t have this particular shade, so it’s pretty justifiable 🙂 ).
- To be in love, to stay in love – needless to add a word.
- To be at home…
Happiness is thousands of other things. Have you read Trifles by Susan Glaspell? It’s a bit gloomy, but it suggests women’s ability to recognise the important behind what men would call ‘trifles’. So why not find happiness in trifles? In your new dress, in a beautiful rock ballad, in anything…
Just have a look around. Family is happiness, motherhood is happiness, feeling pretty is happiness. A woman’s life is full of bliss. You are a woman; you are meant to be happy, now and from now on.